THE SENATE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.
Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution.
National Assembly Complex,
P. M. B. 141, Gorki, Abuja-Nlgeria
Zonal Public Hearing
I, Chairman and members of the Senate Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution cordially invite the General public, Government functionaries, Civil Society/Interest Groups, Professional Bodies and other interested persons to a 2-day Zonal Public Bearing on “The Proposed Alteration to the Provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. 1999”, holding at two centres in each of the 6 (Six) Geo-political Zones as follows:
I. North-Central Jos Centre (Plateau, Nasaraws and Benue), Minna Centre (Niger. Kwara, Kogi and FCI)
2. North-East – Bauchi Centre (Bauchi, Yobe and Borno), Gombe Centre (Gombe, Tarnba and Adamawa)
3. North-West – Kaduna Centre (Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa and Katsina), Sokoto Centre (Sokoto. Kebbi and Zamfara)
4. South-East – Owerri Centre (Imo and Abia), Enugu Centre (Enugu, Ebonyi and Anambra)
5. South-South – Asaba Centre (Delta, Edo and Bayelsa) Port Harcourt Centre (Rivers. Cross River and Akwa-Ibom)
6. South-West – Lagos Centre (Lagos, Oyo and Ogun), Akure Centre (Osun and Ondo)
Date: Wednesday 26’h May & Thursday 27’h May, 2021 .
Time: 10:00am — 5:00pm daily.
Issues for the Public Hearing:
1. Gender Equity/Increased participation of Women and Vulnerable groups in governance
2. The Federal Structure in governance and Power Devolution
3. Local Government Administration/Local Government autonomy
4. Public Revenue, Fiscal Federalism and Revenue Allocation
5. Constitutional Provision for the Establishment of State Police
6. Judicial Reform – Adjudication of election and pre-election matters and other justice delivery noncoms.
7. Electoral Reforms that will make INEC deliver transparent, credible, free and fair elections, Political parties, Independent candidature and election management
8. Socio-cconomic rights as contained in Chapter II of the Constitution.
9. Residency and indigeneship
10. Immunity — Removal of immunity in prima facie criminal cases
11. Time-line for Assent of Bills and Passage of Appropriation Bill
12. States and local government creation
13. Strengthening the independence of institutions like the office of the Accountant General of the Federation, Auditor General of the Federation and Office of the Attorney General of the Federation.
14. F.C.T. Administration
15. The Legislature and Legislative Bureaucracy
16. Constitutional Roles for Traditional Rulers
17. Any other issues that promote the unity and good governance of the Nigerian nation.
For further enquiries; contact the Clerk to the Committee, Dr. Innocent Mcbiri on: 08037092195 or 08055307604, via email: sers8nass®gmail.com
Sen. Ovie Omo-Agege Deputy President of the Senate/Chairnan Senate Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution